If you are seeking a deep cycle battery, then you will also need a TOP quality charger for it too. Deep-cycle batteries are often found in appliances that require the gradual release of power over a long period of time when there is no other power source. They can charge a battery as fast as possible, some of them can manage a level of charging a deep cycle battery.
We created this article of the best deep cycle battery chargers that money can buy. Find out which device will fit your needs perfectly.
Deep Cycle Battery Charger Reviews
Best deep cycle battery chargers
Charging deep cycle batteries from our TOP is the best among those you can find on the market. The list consists of 8 positions that claim the title of the best charger for deep cycle battery, each review provides all the necessary details about their specifics. Also, you can find a buying guide with the most frequently asked questions below.
CTEK (56-864) MUS4.3 – Best Deep Cycle Battery Charger
CTEK produced the best fully automatic deep cycle battery chargers for automotive or small engine starter batteries on the market. They are completely silent, unlike old-fashioned type chargers which have a big fan. The chargers come with a ring terminal connector pigtail, and an alligator clamp pigtail, with a nice quick disconnect in the output line. You can leave one permanently installed on a battery for deep cycle battery charging, and use the alligator clamp for charging another equipment. This charger will not work for less than 2-volt DC.
- This 12v deep cycle battery charger works excellent on BMW’s and Chevy’s.
- Very reliable (even though power cuts, picks up from where it left off once the power returns).
- Supports AGM batteries and regular batteries.
- No venting or fan to help with the heat.
- Could have a longer clamp wire.
- A little slow.
BLACK+DECKER 20V: a smart system for recognition
A must-have addition to charging your 20V MAX batteries. This cuts down the time of charging significantly, and the indicator light shows when charging is done. It’s easy to use and doesn’t take a lot of space, and if you have multiple batteries you’ll never need to worry about running out of juice. It works much faster than the standard re-charger supplied with their tools/batteries. The 45 minutes on a dead battery vs. hours on the standard recharger.
All depends on what size battery you are charging. The only thing that could annoy someone that this deep cycle battery trickle charger doesn’t have screw head holes on the back. So you have to charge your batteries on a flat surface only.
- Cost-effective solution.
- Size efficiency.
- Long lasting.
- Take too long to charge fully (over an hour on the charger).
Battery Tender Plus 021-0128: compact charger with all the best facilities
The best things about the 021-0128 are that it is very durable. It can stay connected without overcharging or decreasing the battery’s life and it can be used with the battery connected to or removed from the motor. An ability of the device to maintain the battery condition for any situation when it isn’t used is really essential. So when you going somewhere for long periods of time, you can connect this deep cycle battery tender and you’ll have no worries when you return. The battery will be fully charged and your car will be ready to go.
- Simple and easy to use connections that look like mini jumper cables.
- Stays connected without overcharging or decreasing the battery’s life.
- Doesn’t allow mixing cables with other brands. In this case, the red indicator is always turned on telling you about the mistake.
NOCO Genius G4 6V/12V 4.4 Amp: an easy way to charge your battery
If you have a motorcycle, I highly recommend this 12V deep cycle battery charger G4. The $30 G4 will fit the bill for your needs (this also works for lawn-mower batteries and other smaller batteries). The battery will slowly lose charge from the 13.5V down to 12.78V and then the charger will bring it up to 12.79V. Then it will drift down to 12.78 and charge back up to 12.79 and will do this continually. This AGM deep cycle battery charger is great because you can leave your car in the garage indefinitely and it will keep the charge up. If there’s a power outage, when the power comes back on the charger starts in the same mode it was on and brings the voltage up to that 13.5 volts.)
- It’s sleek, but it’s entirely functional.
- You can charge up to 4 batteries at once.
- The charger is always monitoring the battery, so it’s impossible to overcharge it.
- It won’t recharge a dead battery in a larger vehicle.
BatteryMinder 128CEC1: state-of-art technology and reasonable price
Excellent deep cycle battery maintainer at a great price ($135). Includes a Temp Sensor that isn’t inside the unit (which can be fouled up by the device getting warm), uses plugs, is always desolating when there is a charge (awesome feature – others only do it when you set them to that mode), and can charge regular, gel and AGM batteries. The 128CEC1 may not look like the fanciest battery charger, but it definitely gives every other one out there a run for their money.
- It is small and compact, making it an ideal companion on the go.
- Low amp charging means your battery will last longer.
- It is not recommended for 12V aircraft batteries.
Schumacher SC1319: Fully automatic battery maintainer
Schumacher’s company sells many different models of the 1.5 amp chargers but they all function basically the same. There are no buttons or switches, you just connect to the battery and plug it in. The safety feature consists of the charger automatically turning off once the charger reads 100% charge. They have versatile options for quick connections and the cords are fairly long and they also sell an even longer extension for the power connection if you need it. The small size and light weight charger work great for wall mounting and quick connection. This work very well for any battery that isn’t used on a daily basis. You can leave them continuously hooked up with no risk of overcharging. It is a very cost-effective option to keep your battery charged up and ready to go.
- This Schumacher deep cycle battery charger is DOE compliant and comes together with the standard clamp and ring connector.
- It features a microprocessor control which automatically switches to float mode.
- The green light doesn’t come on when it is fully charged.
- It will not let you charge at 30 amps when the battery gets ½ charged.
Best deep cycle marine battery charger
Deep cycle marine batteries are designed for a continuous discharge current of 5-50 amps, withstand discharge within a few hours or even days and discharged to 80% of capacity. The IP indicator shows the protection of an object from solid objects and liquids. These two products, which represented below have excellent protection against liquids and are excellent for a marine battery.
ChargePro 2711A (IP65): multi-stage smart charging
Water-resistant, sealed unit, can be used outdoors and left running outdoors. They are not “fast chargers”. This deep cycle battery charger provides a nice float-charge and can be left indefinitely. As well, these chargers are simply a dependable product that also extends battery life. You can trust this charger to maintain the battery on or off the vehicle for years to serve.
- ChargePro is up to 40% lighter while increasing durability and ease of installation.
- Total waterproofing.
- Consistent overcharging is fatal to Gel and AGM batteries.
NOCO Genius G3500 (IP67): a good option for your marine battery
Perfect charger for anyone, who has a lot of batteries. Very multifunctional, NOCO Genius will charge any battery you have. I like this option for setting up a ‘battery charging station’. The G3500 has a water-resistant and durable cabinet. Besides, two additional mounting holes fix the device and help avoid mechanical damages. This trickle charger fits both cars and motorcycles. It is easy to use and has a safety built-in to avoid overcharging and damaging your battery. The light indicator shows you the battery level.
- When the battery is completely charged, the device switches to the “maintain” mode automatically.
- There is a 5-year warranty.
- This deep cycle marine battery charger comes with a special intuitive diagnostic tool that provides a visual interface which can help you understand problems like reverse polarity and low-voltage.
- Radio-frequency noise problem – you can hear it cycles while listening to an AM radio.
- It’s better to apply to non-AGM batteries like lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries.
Why would you need a deep cycle battery charger?
Discharge to zero leads to irreversible sulfation and a significant loss of capacity of any lead battery, regardless of its type. If you leave your battery connected to the positive terminal and it will be completely drained, you will not have to utilize it but use a deep cycle battery charger. With reference to solar power stations, this situation can happen if the charge controller is left for the winter, and the solar panels are covered with snow. This will lead to the fact that in the absence of solar charging, the controller’s own consumption will slowly lead to a complete discharge.
Tips for charging deep cycle batteries
How to charge a deep cycle battery properly? A deep cycle battery is not the same as regular car one. To charge a 12-volt battery, the charger must provide a voltage of at least 14 volts. However, if the voltage exceeds 15 volts, the battery will overheat, the gas formation will begin, gas evaporation, and plate deformation will begin. Gel batteries are most sensitive to increased voltage, so they are recommended to charge in the range of 13.8 – 14.4 volts.
24-volt lithium-ion batteries are charged at a voltage of 29.2 volts and 12-volt batteries – 14.6 volts. Voltage supporting a charge of 26.5 and 13.25 volts.
These are the most essential tips on how to recharge deep cycle battery.
How to look after a deep cycle battery?
After several months of storage, the voltage may be reduced due to self-discharge. When the voltage drops below 12.6 volts, lead plates begin to sulfate, which can lead to a decrease in battery capacity. It is recommended to check the voltage once every six months and not allowed to drop the voltage below 12.6V, and if this level already reached, you should recharge it from the battery charger or using solar batteries. Implementation of this recommendation will significantly extend the life of the lead-acid battery.
Can I use a deep cycle battery charger on a regular battery?
Usually, there is no problem when you are using a deep-discharge battery instead of a starter one – you just need to pick up the cell so that it provides enough amps for the starter. As a rule, if you want to use a deep cycling battery as a starter battery, you need to purchase 20% more powerful starter cell than a regular one.
Can I charge a deep cycle battery with a regular charger?
Charging the AGM battery with a normal charger is possible only in charging mode from 75% to 100% level (12.45V). Batteries, that are deeply discharged, can be recovered only by using automatic chargers. We recommend you to purchase models with intelligent control and onboard three-stage deep cycle battery charging.
What to look at when opting for the best battery charger for deep cycle batteries?
Deep cycle battery chargers are known as very expensive items. When buying such a costly product, you want to be sure that it will last long and help in the most difficult situations. Therefore, it is utterly important to thoroughly plan your purchase and check if the top product in your shortlist meets your expectations fully while being just perfect in all the essential characteristics. This short guide is intended to improve your decision-making process by presenting all the main issues that should be considered when choosing the best battery charger for deep cycle batteries.
- Budget. Knowing your budget is the first step to finding the product that can meet all your expectations ideally and cover all your needs. The thing is that you should be well aware of the fact of what value you are going to achieve with the acquisition of a deep cell battery charger. Besides that, you should also know what demands will be satisfied after purchasing this item. All these aspects might help you find out how much money you are going to get out of your pocket for buying a new charger. At the same time, planning your budget in advance will help you find out the most cost-effective option for your particular demands. Moreover, if you know your budget, you can soberly decide whether it is reasonable for you to buy the cheapest option with a modest set of characteristics or you should better raise your bet to get an ideal product and have no regrets afterwards.
- Compatibility of the charger. The thing is that not every battery charger for a deep cycle battery can be suitable for each and every item. For instance, there are many chargers that can guarantee efficient performance only when used with deep-cycle lead-acid batteries. This means that if you use this kind of chargers with e.g. gel batteries, you won’t get the expected result at all and can face negative consequences in the very end. This is why it is vital to get familiar with the charger description, so you won’t make a mistake and find the model that will suit the chemistry of deep-cycle batteries you are going to charge.
- Size of the battery. In fact, this does not mean that you should care about how large or small your battery is. This rather means that you should consider how many amp hours your battery can store when being fully charged. Most batteries provide nearly 50 amp hours, so they can be charged in 5-6 hours with a 10 amp deep cycle trickle charger. But that happens a lot that you charge batteries that have considerably more than 50 amp hours in their full charge, then it could be useful for you to consider more powerful battery chargers.
- Properties allowing to resist environmental impact. This may sound crazy but you should also think about where you are going to use the battery charger. Sure, most users expect that they will never face the necessity to charge deep cycle battery with car off road or while being inside the motorboat. However, things just cannot go perfectly all the time. This means that you must be prepared to have the battery charger outside your garage and get maximum impact from it. First of all, you need to make sure that your top candidate is UV-resistant, so you can freely use it outdoors in summer when sun rays are especially dangerous. Next, it is necessary to make sure that the charger is water-resistant, so spilling some water on it unintentionally won’t have a disastrous effect. However, it does mean that water-resistant chargers are 100% rain-resistant. Raindrops are not just pure water, as they may contain different chemical compounds that can affect the performance of the charger. Moreover, if you want to have an opportunity to charge the battery during heavy rain, then it is crucial to pay more for the model that is both water- and rain-resistant. Also, the best charger for AGM deep cycle battery might have anti-corrosion coating, so it won’t get worse over time.
- Monitor the battery’s charge level. In fact, this feature cannot be found in the cheapest model, but you can get a charger with such a significant capability if you are ready to pay more. These items can monitor the current charge level of your deep-cycle battery and add more charge to prevent it from going out of charge soon. Therefore, this useful feature can save you time and expand the life of the battery, as it will never go dead and its chemical properties will be preserved.
- Equalizing capabilities. It might be also interesting to you that the most advanced models are made in such a way that they can offer the capability of equalizing. How can this be helpful to you? The thing is that the equalizing feature is called to balance the charge of the battery as well as reverse the negative process of sulfation that can do serious harm to the plates of the battery. The owners of such chargers get an opportunity to improve deep cycle battery maintenance and prolong the lifespan of their batteries. So if you want to get the charger with the capability of equalizing, you should be ready to spend more and revise your budget expectations.
Overall, you can also choose a more scrupulous way of choosing the most suitable model for your needs. For example, if you put your trust in a particular brand, it could be natural for you to go further with this company and choose only from their products. You can also expect the model to be manufactured solely in Japan, German, the USA or whatever. However, it is still utterly important to consider all the above-mentioned issues, as they may determine the overall success of your purchase.
My name is Brandon, and I’ve been interested in cars since I was a kid. I got a bachelor’s degree in Automotive Technology and worked in a private car workshop. I have two cars that have been completely upgraded with my own hands. So I successfully put all my knowledge into practice.
Last update on 2020-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API