If you need to replace your old oil filter but don’t know how, the following guide is just for you. The purpose of this post is to assist you in finding the best oil filter currently available on the market that fits your vehicle properly. You should keep in mind that having a high-quality oil filter in your car may prevent serious problems by protecting its engine from filthy impurities and hazardous particles introduced by motor oil.
We prepared 10 informative oil filter reviews describing the most attractive items currently available online to meet the demands of different car owners. Moreover, the aim of this article is also to teach you how to properly install a new oil filter into your car, as well as what measures you should take to avoid being burned by hot motor oil during installation and how often you should replace your motor oil and filters. When I was writing these oil filter reviews, consumer reports were also considered by me to add more value to the article and create this objective assessment of modern oil filters.
Oil Filter Reviews
The first option in my best oil filter review is this amazing item developed by Motorcraft. After having an opportunity to properly test this option, I can confidently declare this oil filter to be an excellent anti-clog solution for most current vehicles. The model can be especially useful for those people who have to regularly make long trips.
The FL2051S is stuffed with advanced filter media having special protective coverage. It handles the duty of catching more than 99 percent of filthy small particles and hazardous pollutants found in motor oil excellently. I also want to praise the manufacturer for the hard effort in creating a long-life oil filter thanks to a wise choice of high-quality materials used for its construction. The product is typical in size and has a large overall capacity, allowing it to be utilized successfully in high-performance engines. It may also be readily placed and removed due to its lengthy form.
- The filter model is versatile enough to accommodate a variety of automobiles.
- Even under severe weather, the item functions well.
- The installation requires a special wrench.
- Because the valve part of the item is poorly made, it may be damaged on occasion.
This is an external spin-on filter, which was designed by engineers from Alisson to be nicely used with Allison’s 1000, 2000, and 2400 series transmission. Consequently, this means that the item is made in accordance with Allison’s original factory specifications.
However, it can still be found among top-rated oil filters. The biggest benefit of spin-on oil filters lies in the fact that it lets drivers quickly and smoothly install and remove them.
Moreover, the item boasts pretty small dimensions (3.3 x 3.2 x 3.1 inches), which helps the item perfectly fit any car having either of Allison’s 1000, 2000, and 2400 series transmission. At the same time, it has a very solid construction despite its pretty compact design. Due to the use of high-quality materials, the 29539579 can easily withstand high pressure.
- Due to its high-quality non-stick sealing gasket, the model performs wonderfully in terms of stopping oil from seeping out of the filter.
- When compared to conventional oil filters, this item is rather pricey.
- The model has a modest total capacity dictated by its compact physical dimensions.
When it comes to K&N’s famous oil filter, I would like to point out that this manufacturer has a solid reputation for employing only high-quality synthetic filter media in all of its products. In its price category, the KN-204 is one of the best oil filters.
The KN-204 has this traditional feature as well, with its resin-impregnated filter media intended to offer maximum flow with little pressure drop and effective filtration of dangerous contaminants (traps up to 99 percent of them). This extremely effective oil filter is made of heavy-duty metal that prevents the product from being destroyed by pressure even under extreme situations, despite its modest dimensions (2.8 x 2.7 x 3.1 inches).
The model comes with a 17mm exposed nut for quick and easy removal. The device also has the advantage of being able to replace most original oil filters on most automobiles, trucks, motorbikes, SUVs, and ATVs.
- An anti-drain back valve that stops oil from leaking back into the crankcase when the engine is shut off, preventing dry starts.
- The item works equally well with most oil types.
- Accidental leaks may happen.
When describing the functional characteristics of this amazing option from the top 10 oil filters, I would like to point out that Cummins Onan has produced this item to match their generator model. However, the product can be still installed on any car you own if the model’s small dimensions (3 x 5 x 5 inches) will allow doing this.
The competitive advantage of the 122-0836 is that this oil filter goes with a bypass valve, which is meant to help oil pass the oil filter easily if the filter becomes clogged or during cold weather days.
At the same time, the item lacks an anti-drain back valve, which serves a similar purpose to a bypass valve. Despite its small size, the tool appears to be quite strong and hard, since it is made of high-quality materials that can endure high pressure and perform well in harsh environments.
- The model can be easily installed and removed when necessary.
- The item is of OEM grade and is designed to fit Onan generators.
- When not connected to an Onan generator, the product may sweat.
- A low total capacity compared to other oil filters in the same price category.
I had no option but to include this Purolator high-performance oil filter in my best oil filter comparison after having the good fortune to work with it. I would like to say that Purolator engineers have made a good effort in creating the product with a heavy gauge base and canister that can withstand high pressure with its impulse fatigue resistance..
As the Purolator PL14610 goes with advanced synthetic-polymer/cellulose-fiber blend filter media, the product delivers up to 50% more filtering capacity than standard models do. Moreover, it has a high-quality silicone anti-drain valve, which is especially effective in preventing dry starts because the oil is collected even when the engine is turned off. The model is one of the best synthetic oil filter options produced today. However, it is not well suited to be put on vehicles other than Ford’s.
- The model boasts reliable non-stick sealing gaskets to ensure easy and comfortable installation and removal of the oil filter.
- When utilized with both synthetic and conventional engine oils, the product promises a longer oil filter life.
- It’s difficult to close the can because it’s thin.
I have tested this high-performance oil filter and can assure you that it is the best car oil filter for Chrysler, Jeep, and Dodge’s automobiles to replace their genuine factory OEM oil filters. The product is claimed to fit RAM Pickup 2004-2012, although it works best with 5.9L and 6.7L diesel engines of the above-mentioned carmakers.
It should be noted that this item is pretty large (11 x 5 x 8 inches) and weighs 1.5 pounds, which is excessively heavy when compared to other oil filters currently on the market. Its hefty construction, on the other hand, offers it adequate sturdiness to endure pressure fluctuations and function dependably even under harsh situations.
I would also like to point out that this item has shown impressive filtration efficiency as it can cope with up to 99% of harmful contaminants, ensuring that your engine is entirely protected. Moreover, the item works equally well with all types of motor oil.
- Non-stick sealing gaskets are included in the model, ensuring that the oil filter may be installed and removed without difficulty.
- This high-performance oil filter is designed to last a long time.
- Its use is restricted to only three automobile brands.
This is a very effective oil filter that can achieve up to 99 percent filtration effectiveness by capturing pollution particles as tiny as 25 microns. It’s a quality device that uses all-synthetic micro-glass media to capture the tiniest particles.
What I really appreciate in this item is that it has a sturdy construction and compact dimensions (3.1 x 3.1 x 3.6 inches), which will help the item keep its shape and firmness even during extreme conditions. Moreover, the product also allows for optimized flow as a way to deliver 100% engine protection. This oil filter is also compatible with a wide range of different engines and vehicles, making it a universal buyer’s option.
Additionally, stuffed with a silicone anti-drain back valve, the 10-2835 shows perfect protection from dry starts even in cold and hot weather conditions. Finally, I want to add that the oil filter is claimed to work effectively for the first 15,000 miles.
- The model has a reliable heavy-duty rubber base gasket to guarantee that the oil will never spill accidentally from the canister.
- The model perfectly works only with synthetic motor oil.
After testing this top-rated oil filter, I can confidently state that it is capable of guaranteeing long-term performance while also considerably extending usual drain intervals. I’d even go so far as to claim that the M1-102 is potentially the best oil filter for synthetic oil available. Stuffed with an advanced synthetic fiber media blend, the M1-102 has shown a 99.6% Multi-Pass Efficiency Rating of removing contaminants and keeping the oil clean.
Having average dimensions, this oil filter has a stated total capacity of 28.0 grams, which allows the M1-102 to be among the leading products in this price range. This oil filter fits GM 1975 to 14, AC PF47, Isuzu 1989 to 94, 96 to 03, and GM 6439929 and 25010792.
Moreover, produced by one of the most popular brands in the industry, the M1-102 has a rare capability of withstanding up to 9 times normal system operating pressure due to its advanced pressure protection of up to 615 Pascals per square inch to prevent the canister from the explosion.
- The model can be effectively used with any motor oil type.
- This oil filter is especially good at preventing dry starts.
- The considered oil filter tends to have a problem of triggering the check engine oil light to come on falsely when installing on some vehicles.
This is a high-end oil filter that is mostly recognized as an OEM option for the Chrysler 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 engine used in Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Ram 1500 vehicles from 2014 to the present.
Mopar’s oil filters frequently appear in most oil filter ratings for their ability to produce efficient eco-friendly products. For the reason that this ecologically friendly engine is aimed at delivering reliable work of the vehicle without sacrificing its efficiency, this oil filter needs to fit the high standards established for eco-friendly products.
As biodiesel blends tend to cause increased fuel dilution, your vehicle requires a highly efficient oil filter capable of keeping motor oil pure enough by capturing all harmful contaminants. While most oil filters would lose their ability to purify the motor oil when combined with the demanding Chrysler 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 engine, the 68229402AA has been designed in such a way to ensure successful long-life performance (12 months of active use or 10,000 miles covered as manufacturers state).
- The model features solid construction to withstand high pressure and work reliably even in extreme conditions.
- The item goes with a tight heavy-duty rubber base gasket to ensure no-spill performance.
- This is a high-priced tool that can only be installed on a few car models.
- This oil filter can work effectively only with eco-friendly oil motors.
The M-6731-FL820 is the starting point for the oil filter comparison. Owners of high-performance vehicles will appreciate this oil filter. The model fits the following engines: 3.7L, 4.0L, 4.6L-5.4L 2V/3V/4V, and 5.0L TiVCT.
Moreover, the M-6731-FL820 also fits the 2012-2013 Mustang Boss 302 having a factory-installed oil cooler. When compared to the standard oil filters manufactured by Ford, the M-6731-FL820 beats them significantly in terms of physical dimensions (4.5 x 4.1 x 4.1 inches) and the subsequent capability to filter more oil at once (up to 50% of filtering capacity).
What I really like about this potentially best oil filter for a car is that it boasts a high-quality anti-drain back valve made of silicone to ensure that the oil will flow to the engine even in cold and hot conditions. I also appreciate the fact that the manufacturers have made this filter effective both with synthetic and standard oils, as different drivers prefer different oil types depending on their preferences and the needs of their cars. I would also like to mention that its synthetic-polymer/cellulose-fiber blend media perfectly copes with the task of cleaning oil and holding excessive dirt.
- The product’s heavy gauge base and canister provide exceptional impulse fatigue resistance and burst strength.
- The model also boasts its non-stick sealing gasket, which is intended to ensure comfortable removal and installation of the oil filter.
- The item is known to be very expensive, particularly when compared with any other best oil filter brand.
How to Choose an Ideal Oil Filter for Your Car?
Without motor oil, no automobile can function correctly. Because motor oil has such a large impact on how your automobile operates, the need for an oil filter should never be overlooked. When you get your motor oil changed, most vehicle experts recommend changing the oil filter with a newer one. How would I know, for example, “What is the best oil filter for my car?”
On the one hand, if you are going to use mineral motor oil, then the quality of oil filters is not so important for you. Just look at whether they have a solid construction and reliable anti-leak valve to prevent you from having undesired oil leakage. On the other hand, if you are going to replenish the car with synthetic motor oil, be ready to pay for a high-quality oil filter in order to ensure sufficient protection of your engine from small but harmful contaminants. When you intend to travel a lot with the same motor oil and want to know “what oil filter do I need” high-quality filters are also a requirement.
How Should I Change My Oil Filter Properly?
You may be interested in learning “how often to change an oil filter?” Well, even some experienced drivers may get confused when asked to replace an oil filter on their own. Nevertheless, replacing an oil filter can be as easy as first-grade math, if you know how to act step-by-step. Here is an 11-step tutorial to show you how to quickly and effectively replace the oil filter:
- Begin by starting the engine. Warm oil drains faster than cold oil, therefore this step is required. To keep the oil from becoming too hot, repeat this process for many minutes.
- Then drive your car on 2 ramps. Place safety chucks behind the wheels of your car and wear safety glasses and gloves.
- To get rid of any residual motor oil, locate the oil plug and place the oil pan beneath it.
- Then you should unscrew the plug with your hands and push the plug back toward your pan. Beware of hot oil.
- Now you should drain old oil properly. Now is the time to carefully drain the old oil. Find the filler cap on top of the engine to aid in this process, as it will allow you to drain oil more quickly because air will enter from the top.
- The next step is to replace the oil plug and tighten it with your hands. With a wrench, tighten the plug. If the service manual specifies it, replace the drain cap. Make certain that the drain stopper is never overtightened.
- Take off the old oil filter. Keep in mind that it may still contain hot oil. Check that the old filter gasket isn’t attached to the engine by placing the oil pan underneath it.
- Take your new filter, lubricate it properly, and screw it into place by hand.
- Fill the engine with fresh oil.
- Start the engine and look for any possible leaks.
- Take a look at the oil level indicator. Bring your old motor oil and filter to the drop-off location to properly dispose of them.
You will always know how to change an oil filter properly if you follow these instructions.
How Often Should I Replace Oil Filters?
Remember that there are no universal regulations that state that you must change even the best oil filters for cars after one year or 5,000 miles have elapsed. Obviously, everything depends on the type of oil filter you have installed in your car as different items have different durability. If your oil filter has a 15-year lifespan, take advantage of it and don’t rush to replace it. Furthermore, the quality and kind of motor oil you use affects the longevity of your oil filters, since synthetic lubricants are often more damaging to your engine than mineral-based motor fluid. Look at the service manual of your oil filter to see how long it may be used without causing damage to your engine. Make sure you’ve picked the best oil filter for your car’s protection.
My name is Brandon, and I’ve been interested in cars since I was a kid. I got a bachelor’s degree in Automotive Technology and worked in a private car workshop. I have two cars that have been completely upgraded with my own hands. So I successfully put all my knowledge into practice.
Last update on 2023-02-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API