Many bikers need to move their bikes to another location. This can be high in mountains or in a park several miles away from home. If you have a Jeep Wrangler, you can solve the problem by attaching a special bike rack to your vehicle.
The bike racks differ in several ways, principal characteristics of the best bike rack for a Jeep Wrangler are the following:
- number of bikes carried simultaneously
- type of mount
- ability to work without blocking the car’s functions (like the backstop light, rear camera, and so on)
- build quality
- number of security elements
You may need to transport just one bike for your daily trips, but it’s a good idea to have a rack with higher capacity in case your friends decide to join you. For some Jeep Wrangler models, only the lower mount racks are compatible, while others can go well with on-tire models as well. It’s needless to say that all of your SUVs security mechanisms like brake light and camera should be working as usual with the rack on. Otherwise, it’s better to choose another model. And certainly, for long trips and extreme conditions, you’ll need a solid build quality and a reliable security system for your bikes.
Want to get the best hitch bike rack for Jeep Wrangler? The models listed below are most likely the best fit for you!
Reviews of Jeep Wrangler Bike Racks
If you’re looking for a bike rack for Jeep Wrangler that’ll let you drive everything as usual but have your bike on, the Allen Sports model may be the one. With this bike rack, you can secure up to 4 bikes at once behind your Jeep Wrangler and yet have access to your hatch and everything in it. The rack has three positions, two of which let you tilt the rack back and safely open the hatch. That can be done with all 4 bikes onboard and without risking them touching the ground, as the tilt is calculated precisely.
The 4-bike rack is made of sturdy metal, with all the hinges and pins also being metal. You don’t need special keys to hang it on, fold, and attach to the car. All the fixations are simple and intuitive, and mainly you have to flip them upwards and downwards. The rack can be left folded in order to put your Wrangler closer to a wall or a fence.
It’s also simple to fix bikes on this Jeep Wrangler bike rack. Just hang the bike onto two rack’s horizontal pipes and secure it with two rubber straps. The latter are wide and have ribbed cushions inside the fixation cradle. Each strap has several holes to fix it with a metal pin. This way, you can securely fix the bike with any frame width.
- With a spare tire on the hatch, the system can be used fully unfolded.
- The straps with brackets can rotate, letting you fix almost any type of bike on the rack.
- The tension bolt fixation to the car damps vibration and prevents rattling.
- The rack does not have any kind of locking mechanism.
- The bikes are quite close together, and it is necessary to align the handlebars and pedals in order to place them comfortably.
Owners of one or two bikes who plan to permanently transport them on their Jeep Wrangler will appreciate this bike rack model. It’s made of high-quality steel alloy, features a protecting bike secure system, and takes up little space. It also fits bicycles with various frame designs and sizes and thus can well be potentially called the best bike rack for Jeep Wrangler.
The rack is designed to be attached to the spare tire. It consists of several sturdy tubes that are flattened a bit at the places where they touch the tire. The system is built in a way so that the weight of the bikes is evenly distributed and is mostly carried by a spare tire. In order to install the rack, you need to put it on the tire, ensure it is stable, and additionally secure it with long textile straps to your Jeep’s frame.
The bicycles are mounted quite high on this spare tire bike rack for Jeep Wrangler, so they are not covered in road dust or affected by the exhaust on the way. You can also quickly check their position in your rear-view mirror. The bike is mounted on the rack by putting the frame into two fixations and strapping it down. The fixation is movable so that the rack can accommodate bikes of almost any size.
- The rack can be used on a stock Wrangler spare tire and any tire up to 33 inches.
- Straps are a bit elastic and let the construction dampen the vibration coming from the car.
- The total weight carried is up to 70 lbs.
- It’s better to have a cover on the spare tire in order not to scratch the rubber with the rack’s steel bars.
- The plastic buckles can scratch the bike’s paint at the fixation points.
If you plan to get your Wrangler bike rack on for a long time, the SR1 model should be on your list. Though its installation requires using tools, it’s quite fast and can be performed even by a non-techie person. At the same time, it has multiple benefits in terms of the convenience of use and security of the bikes. There are several fastening mechanisms both for holding the rack and your bicycles in place.
When you attach the hitch bike rack on the tire for the first time, don’t tighten the front bolts all at once. Just turn them halfway on with a wrench. Next, you’ll have to secure and buckle up the long nylon strap on the bottom of your spare tire. Another nylon strap goes along the tire’s protector and is also fixed with the plastic buckle.
This rack fits the Wrangler models with a backup camera mounted in the spare tire. When mounted on a tire, the rack’s tubes do not interfere with the camera or limit its scale. However, depending on the bike model you carry on the rack, it can obstruct the camera anyway.
The bicycles are mounted on this bike rack Jeep Wrangler in special rubber cradles that dampen the vibration. They also keep the bike from rubbing against the parts of the rack or a spare tire. The bike’s frame is secured in the cradle by a ripple strap that fits any frame’s size.
- The spring-loaded mechanism of support arms lets you quickly fold and unfold them when needed.
- Long nylon buckled strap is also used to secure the bikes between the support arms.
- The ripple strap pin fits quite tight and secures the bike reliably.
- If you plan to transport non-standard bikes (kids bikes, ladie’s frame style, etc.), you may need a tube adapter to secure them.
- The build quality isn’t particularly robust.
This Thule bike rack for Jeep Wrangler with stationary fixation would make an excellent gift for a JK owner who’s into camping and extreme conditions. It lets you have your bikes securely on and have full access to your tailgate, which is useful for camping and even short road trips.
The positioning of this device will require you to remove your spare tire and install the round mount plate for a rack. Then, you can put the spare tire back and proceed with inserting the rack construction and mounting the bikes. In this way, you can mount the rack on any wheel size.
The construction of this bike rack for Jeep Wrangler with an oversized tire is simple and solid. There is a thick rounded tube leaning against the tire, with the foldable bike support arms. The system has a central lock that secures the rack to the wheel and cannot be opened without a key. The metal tube is covered with several thick rubber protectors that prevent metal from rubbing against the tire as well as contact between bikes.
The system carries a weight of up to 75 lbs, meaning you can take two heavy mountain bikes with you on your trip. The bikes’ frames are put into the rubber cradles and secured with rubber ripple straps. The fixations are reliable and hold the bikes in place well. The rubber protectors additionally dampen the motor/road vibration, ensuring your bikes’ safety in a variety of road conditions.
- The system also includes a lock for bicycles to prevent theft from the rack.
- The central lock knob is large and robust, making it simple to lock the system.
- It has an additional strap that goes over the spare tire for extra stability.
- It’s difficult to fasten the spare tire lugs after the rack’s mounting plate is installed, as the latter is quite thick.
- A slight rattle is heard with two bikes on.
Although this bicycle rack for a Jeep Wrangler is a bit complex when initially installed, it has a multi-point attachment system and is easy to use once you’re done preparing it. The bike carrier fits for various tire diameters and thus, can be used with some other car models as well. It can hold up to 2 bikes weighing up to 35 lbs each.
The rack features a hitch mount plate that should be installed under the spare wheel. The plate has 3 lug nut holes that fit the majority of Wrangler’s tires’ bolting scheme. After the mount is installed, you’ll need to connect the rack system to it. This can be accomplished by using one of three supplied adapters. The adapters have different lengths to accommodate Jeep wheels with different dimensions.
The Jeep Wrangler hitch bike rack has a lock that secures the system to the wheel and prevents its stealing. The plastic lock on the right side of the construction is quite big and can only be opened with a key.
The arms that hold bikes can be unfolded and folded by holding the spring-loaded mechanism under the central tube. Support arms are fitted with rubber cradles that hold the bike’s frame in two spots. The frame is overlapped with a rubber strap with multiple holes in it, which is fastened on a side pin. There’s also a textile strap that can be put over the bike’s frame and buckled for additional stability.
- Various types of screws and washers must be fastened during the initial installation, which stands for the high anti-stealing properties of the rack.
- The construction is supplied with plastic tube caps (mounted on the bottom ends of the rack) and rubber protectors in order to prevent rubbing against a spare tire.
- The position of the bike holders can be shifted to any place on a support arm for better balance.
- The fixation mechanism for the support arms lacks a protective coating and is prone to wear due to metal-on-metal contact.
- The support arms are quite short, and aligning two bikes takes some time.
Jeep Wrangler Bike Rack Video Review
Jeep Wrangler Bike Rack FAQ
The answer depends on the car’s model, as the bike rack for
– the trunk lid can be used for most car brands, but it won’t fit Sedans. Such a solution provides a large number of soft and flexible connections, which require constant monitoring of the system’s fixation to the car. No need to retrofit the car with a tow bar or roof rails.
– the back door is available for hatchbacks, station wagons, crossovers, and minivans.
– the tow bar can be installed only if the latter accessory is present.
– the roof requires the presence of roof rails (if the car isn’t supplemented with it, you should choose another type or purchase rails).
– If you have chosen a back door bike rack, you should take the unit, wrap the straps on your rack around the car’s sides, and lift the bicycle frame over the two hooks that obtrude at an angle.
– After the rack for tow bar choosing, you should screw it at the bottom of the car, fold the rack down and put the cycle in the wheel cradles.
– If you want to install a roof-mounted bike rack, it’s better to hook such an accessory across each of the vehicles cross bars, mount the pedal cycle due to its lifting and locking the wheels in the required place.
It’s not hard to use Audi, BMW, Jeep Wrangler bike rack for the roof as the vehicle’s owner has to place the bike inside it, use three mounts (two of which fix the wheels and one fixes the frame in an upright position). Make sure the accessory holds the bicycle elements tightly. When performing the mounting on the back door, you need to place the bike onto holders and do not forget to fix it in the lower part by wrapping the wheels.
My name is Brandon, and I’ve been interested in cars since I was a kid. I got a bachelor’s degree in Automotive Technology and worked in a private car workshop. I have two cars that have been completely upgraded with my own hands. So I successfully put all my knowledge into practice.
Last update on 2022-05-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API