If you own a Jeep Grand Cherokee and enjoy long road trips, you’ve probably encountered the issue of a lack of storage space in your vehicle. It is sometimes necessary to store luggage in the interior of your vehicle, which is extremely inconvenient. In such situations, the Grand Cherokee roof rack may be the best solution. It provides the necessary space for you to store your necessities.
Fortunately, the Jeep Grand Cherokee owners have a variety of good roof rack options. However, apart from compatibility with your Jeep’s model, you must consider factors such as the rack’s durability and capacity.
The rack must be durable enough to withstand heavy loads but not too heavy. Otherwise, it may impair your Jeep’s mobility. Most racks that are made of steel or aluminum provide enough durability to be able to transport a great amount of cargo. However, aluminum ones are usually 30% lighter than steel. Some racks may also have plastic parts, but this doesn’t mean that they aren’t solid enough—plastic is usually used to prevent scratching of the vehicle’s rooftop and decrease the rack’s weight.
The maximum carrying capacity is a critical consideration that should be based on the amount of cargo you typically transport. A conventional roof rack’s maximum carrying capacity ranges from 100 to 200 lbs. This is pretty much enough for carrying most types of cargo.
The best roof rack for Jeep Grand Cherokee will help you resolve the storage issues. So read about our favorite products, their benefits and drawbacks, and make an informed decision.
Reviews of Jeep Grand Cherokee Roof Racks
This roof rack for Jeep Grand Cherokee is designed to fit the 2011 – 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokees, except for models that have raised, plastic molding, or flushed side rails.
The bars are black and are made of aluminum. The rack is designed to fit the Jeep Grand Cherokee OEM specs and ships with 4 mounting brackets. The hook-on installation is quite simple and doesn’t require any special skills; you also won’t need to drill any additional holes in your car to mount the crossbars.
The rack is made up of two crossbars. The front crossbar is longer than the rear one: 46.5 inches vs 46 inches. Thanks to this minor difference, these Jeep Grand Cherokee roof rack cross bars perfectly fit the Cherokee’s roof shape.
The width of one bar is 2.75 inches and the thickness is 0.75 inches. The rack is quite lightweight, weighing only 9.23 lbs, so it won’t add too much excessive weight to your vehicle. However, it’s still able to withstand up to 150 lbs.
- The bars are easy to remove when you don’t need them.
- It’s a low-profile rack, so it won’t influence the fuel consumption of your Jeep too much.
- The bars sit very low, so you can easily park in places with limited upper space.
- The rack makes strong wind noise.
- It’s easy to damage the roof surface while removing the bars.
Overall rating: 9/10
This model can work for almost any model of Jeep Grand Cherokee since it isn’t designed for a specific vehicle. It can even work as the Jeep WJ roof rack. It’s compatible with different models of SUVs and cars that have raised side rails with a gap since the crossbars are adjustable (from 34.5 inches to 49.5 inches). Note that the bars won’t fit bare roofs and roofs with flush rails.
The bars have an elliptic design that appears to be more aerodynamic than square and round bars. They are made of aluminum. The end of each bar has a plastic cap that protects the surface of the car’s roof from scratches and extends the rack’s aerodynamic and durability.
This roof rack for 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee weighs only 8.25 pounds but has a great maximum load capacity of 200 lbs, being suitable for especially heavy types of luggage. Each of the two bars has a size of 54.9 x 6 x 3.4 inches.
The bars are easy to install and detach. The hardware and most tools required for assembly and installation of the rack are included (apart from the allen wrench that is needed to tighten and remove the nuts). The kit also includes two additional plastic caps.
- The rack features an anti-theft security lock system and comes with two unique keys.
- The rubberized grips provide an exceptionally reliable and secure grip on roof rails.
- The bars have special anti-wind rubber strips that minimize wind noise and vibrations. You can cut their lengths when needed.
- The attachment base takes up plenty of space on the bar.
- The rack is much higher than many of its analogs on the market.
Overall rating: 8/10
This rack is designed specifically for Jeep Grand Cherokee and is pretty versatile. This way, it may be the best roof rack for Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and for almost any other model manufactured between 2011 and 2021 (except for models with plastic molding side rails).
The bars are manufactured from aluminum alloy and have a black protective coating. The base feet are made of ABS plastic, which reduces the overall weight (the weight of the bars is 8.48 lbs), so it can be the best roof rack for Jeep Cherokee if you are searching for the most lightweight model. These plastic feet will also protect your Jeep’s roof from scratches. The maximum load capacity of the rack is 150 lbs.
The front bar is 41.3 inches long and the rear one is 40 inches long. As you can see, the front one is longer. Both bars are 3 inches high. The front and rear bars are labeled which eases the process of installation of this roof rack. Everything else is included in the box.
- The manufacturer claims that this rack can withstand more stress than the steel racks.
- The bars are made of highly tensile aluminum, so they will serve you for an extended period of time.
- The locking mechanism is very secure and reliable, so you won’t have to be afraid of losing the rack and the luggage.
- When driving at high speeds, a slight whistle can be heard.
- The rubber padding on the feet constantly gets squished during installation.
Overall rating: 8/10
This roof rack Jeep Grand Cherokee is adjustable in length and is designed to fit the Jeep Cherokees from 2011 to 2021. The bars are made of aluminum and covered with an ABS plastic in places where the moisture may collect (on the ends and base).
It’s a truly cost-effective solution, as it is significantly less expensive than other racks on the market. Its aero wing shape with sharp edges makes the rack suitable for all types of accessories. The maximum load capacity is 165 lbs. The rack holds the cargo securely and seems sturdy enough as for its price.
This 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee roof rack features a clamp-on mounting type. All tools and hardware required for installation are included in the kit. It takes no more than 10 minutes to install.
Each bar is 48 inches long, 3 inches wide, and 1 inch high. The two bars weigh 13.27 lbs.
- The rack’s design reduces wind noise to a bare minimum.
- Both bars can be adjusted to accommodate different types of cargo.
- The clamps are rubberized so they are safe for the roof surface’s paint.
- The rack came without instructions.
- You have to be careful during installation since you may easily crack the plastic.
Jeep Grand Cherokee Roof Rail Removal And Install
Jeep Grand Cherokee Roof Rack FAQ
1. Make sure that the car clips are located at the end of the attachment straps.
2. Take the loop end of the attachment strap and pass it through the backside of the clip.
3. Grab the other end of the strap and pass it through the loop.
4. Pull the strap tight until it closes around the clip.
5. Align the side buckles with the doorframes of the vehicle. For a four-door vehicle, one strap must be attached to the door frame. For a two-door vehicle, you’ll have to move the carrier forward a little bit and attach 2 straps to the door frames in each of the two doors.
6. Ensure that the clips are turned towards the carrier and connect the strap to the corner buckle by threading it through the middle slot of the buckle. Bring it back down through the front slot.
7. Open the doors and hook the car clips under the door frame.
To install the luggage on the Jeep Grand Cherokee roof rack, for example, or any other vehicle, you need a reliable rope (the nylon one will be great) with the help of which you’ll be able to fix your luggage on the roof. Note that the rope shouldn’t have any signs of wear.
1. Select at least 3 load securing points.
2. Tighten your luggage with a rope.
3. After you secure all the parts of your luggage, make as strong knot on the end of the rope as you can. It shouldn’t untie while the vehicle is in motion, even if you drive fast.
1. Install the transverse supports of the trunk on the roof. These supports can be fixed either to the rails or to the grooves of the door seals.
2. To ensure more reliable fastening of the transverse supports, you will need to remove the adjustment handle from them. Then, turn the adjustment handle to the right to firmly fix the support bracket in its regular place. Repeat this operation with all remaining transverse supports. Note that in some models of roof racks, the junction of the support and the cross-beam is locked with the help of a special lock.
3. When you finish the work, measure the distance between the cross-beams along the entire length to make sure that they are parallel.
My name is Brandon, and I’ve been interested in cars since I was a kid. I got a bachelor’s degree in Automotive Technology and worked in a private car workshop. I have two cars that have been completely upgraded with my own hands. So I successfully put all my knowledge into practice.
Last update on 2023-02-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API