Power plants are widely used in industry, construction and everyday life. If the total power of the equipment connected to the generator exceeds the maximum allowed value, the unit is overloaded.
Connecting a vacuum cleaner, microwave, washing machine, and other tools with a high inrush current may cause overload. So whether you don’t want to damage your best generator for travel trailer takes a thorough look at the information below.
Generator overload problem
Usually, such processes last a short time. In this case, the current arising in the generator does not have time to overheat and destroy its windings.
In case of operation of the generator with increased load in a constant mode, for example, during a short circuit, the collector and the windings of the generator become overheated. An increase in temperature, in turn, may cause the destruction of the insulation of the windings, cause an inter-turn short circuit and break the rotor and the stator. It is quite apparent that the only way out in such a situation can be only expensive repairs.
Signs of generator overload:
- generator overheating;
- the appearance of soot in the exhaust gases;
- power reduction;
- the occurrence of a power outage to the consumer.
During the operation of the generator, it can happen that the station will work under asymmetric load. This happens when a single-phase power consumer is connected, or when breakage occurs at one of the phases. This mode of operation can cause the following consequences:
- Increasing the temperature on the rotor winding. This occurs under the influence of excitation currents and with the appearance of additional losses in the rotor from the negative sequence field. It is essential to ensure that the heating of the rotor does not exceed the level of temperature acceptable during the operation of this winding insulation class.
- The excess current in one of the phases above the nominal value. This shouldn’t be allowed.
- An increase in the vibration of a working generator is a sign of the installation leaving the normal operation mode.
Modern manufacturers are aware of what happens if you overload a generator, so they take into account the possibility of overloads during the operation of generators and developing various protection options for both current and voltage. Such equipment shuts down the power plant depending on the duration and magnitude of the current overload. To reflect the state of the equipment on many models, there is a corresponding indicator.
When any node fails, the supply line is damaged, the working bodies are jammed, the voltage is reduced, and in other cases, an emergency overload occurs. In this case, the only reasonable solution is to turn off the power plant and perform its repair.
My name is Brandon, and I’ve been interested in cars since I was a kid. I got a bachelor’s degree in Automotive Technology and worked in a private car workshop. I have two cars that have been completely upgraded with my own hands. So I successfully put all my knowledge into practice.