Your decision to install the best cold air intake on your car can literally give a second life to its engine and significantly improve your driving experience. I am ready to break down your skepticism about this tool with this informative article that is going to briefly describe the benefits of this product.
In fact, with just a small upgrade of your vehicle’s air intake system, you can achieve tremendous results in terms of how your car or truck performs on the road. Cold air intake systems can maximize the performance of an engine and help you increase fuel efficiency. You can find seven top-rated models right here and make a wise buying choice by picking the most powerful one. After reading these test cool air intake reviews, you will learn the installation rules and estimate the amount of horsepower that can be added to your car thanks to a newly installed air intake.
Cold Air Intake Reviews
K&N kit V8 63-3082 — Best Air Intake
I have no hesitation in recommending this potentially the best cold air intake system to you as it has all the necessary features to boost the performance of your car’s engine. After working with this model, I can admit that it can deliver up to 50% more airflow than restrictive stock air filters and intake tubes. At this point, you can observe how the engine starts to work better while using less fuel. By the way, this will result in improved engine sound also, as stock engines usually tend to make your engine work quieter.
This Chevy Silverado cold air intake has also enough potential to ensure better towing through improved acceleration and uphill performance derived from enhanced throttle response. In addition to the above-mentioned benefits, I can also assume that the oversized chrome topped K&N high-flow air filter installed on this model makes this item easy to maintain. By the way, this product also comes with a heat shield that is meant to replace the factory air box. It seems to me that this model performs great in terms of engine protection as its state-of-the-art filtration system filled with thousands of microscopic cotton fibers will shield your car’s engine from various contaminants. It should be mentioned that this model does not look compact (24.1 x 15.5 x 14.5 inches) and weighs a bit more than 13 pounds.
- You can easily install this product on both cars and trucks.
- Affordable price.
- It has a washable air filter.
- The item may become too noisy during acceleration when used on high-performance vehicles.
Overall rating: 9/10
The present model is one of the best cold air intakes in terms of affordability. Still, it can enhance airflow by up to 64%, which improves fuel economy, increases throttle response, improves acceleration, and raises the engine’s horsepower, making the engine’s functioning substantially more effective. I immediately noticed the engine improvement just by the way it sounded.
The system uses a filter made of synthetic media and metal mesh. It’s significantly more effective and durable than OEM filters, offering longevity. The couplers are made of high-dense silicone that is resistant to friction, tear, and excessive heat (up to 400° F). This way, it can be in one line with high-quality cold air intake products.
Due to the large-sized filter that increases airflow, the system measures 16.6 inches in length, 13 inches in width, and 7.6 inches in height. The weight is 7.92 pounds.
The installation is easy-going since the system uses standard mounting points, so you probably won’t need to drill any additional holes. Plus, you won’t have to buy any additional details because this model comes with a ready-to-install kit.
- The dry air filter doesn’t require oiling.
- The system is expected to last 100,000 miles before it needs to be serviced.
- The unit uses multiple filtering to protect your engine.
- This intake system is loud at high revs.
- Because the hose clamps are of poor quality and do not appear to be reliable, you must use considerable effort to tighten them properly.
Overall rating: 9/10
I am absolutely sure that this product should be considered by those persons who want to boost the overall performance of their car with minimum effort and at the lowest cost possible. Unlike other cold air intake kits mentioned here, the Million Parts has a minimalist design, but it does not necessarily mean that it cannot compete with them in terms of efficiency. First of all, I should say that this cold air intake is a versatile product that can be installed successfully on different types of vehicles. I believe that the biggest advantage of this tool lies in the fact that it can ideally fit even those cars manufactured in the 20th century. It performs equally good both with automatic and manual transmission. Having a tube made of aluminum, this cold air intake is good at preventing overheating and transmitting cool oxygen to the engine for raising its productivity and improving torque.
It is also obvious to me that this cheap cold air intake is good at delivering better fuel efficiency. At the same time, this product looks oversized (19.3 x 7.9 x 14 inches) even despite its relatively lightweight construction (7 pounds). The only thing that makes me upset with this model is the quality of its air filter, as I am not so sure about its ability to perform well in the long run.
- It comes with a washable filter.
- This cold air intake seems to make the engine of your vehicle considerably louder.
Overall rating: 8/10
The present model is another cheap cold air intake system on our top. Despite this, its main parts are made of top-quality materials. The steel brackets can withstand extreme conditions. The heat shield helps retain more cold air in the motor. The whole item measures 9.67 x 11.81 x 9.45 inches and weighs 8.95 pounds.
The cold air intake filter implemented in this model consists of the oiled cotton fibers that help catch even the tiniest dust particles. The filter is reusable and doesn’t need to be replaced on a regular basis because it can be washed with water and soap. It is suggested that you wash it every 5,000 miles.
The system is easy to install using standard tools like a socket or a wrench. There are also illustrated instructions included. It took me no more than 35-45 minutes to complete the installation.
Like most other budget cold air intake systems, this one claims to increase up to 10% of HP and up to 8% of torque. Indeed, as soon as you install this system, your car’s engine begins to growl as if it were brand new.
- Because the pipe is made of aluminum, it will last a long period without showing indications of wear.
- It doesn’t make noise, being almost silent.
- Although not all cars require a MAF sensor adapter, it’s still included in the kit.
- The clamps appear to be delicate, so don’t overtighten them.
- The tube may be too long for some vehicles.
Overall rating: 9/10
The most remarkable thing about this model is that its intake tube is made of alloy steel with a carbon coating that significantly improves its durability. This way, it will last for a longer time in comparison with non-coated cold air intake systems. This coating also makes the tube resistant to scratches and wear. The dimensions of the whole unit are 15 x 11 x 5.9 inches. The weight is 7.89 pounds.
This cold air intake system gives your car a noticeable power increase. The engine starts to sound more aggressively. The car becomes more responsive and picks up speed faster.
The seals are made of high-quality silicone that is resistant to cracking and tearing. It also prevents couplers from sliding off the tube. The hot air is kept away from the engine with the help of a special heat sheet.
The manufacturer claims that their high-quality air filter is able to improve air filtration by nearly 100%. However, in fact, there is nothing exceptional about this filter. It’s just bigger in size in comparison with other filters, which allows for improved breathability.
Like most other cold air intake kits from Moosun, this model comes with all of the pieces needed for installation; thus no additional parts will be needed during setup.
- Both the clamps are made of steel.
- This cold air intake system ensures really smooth and consistent airflow.
- The item provides an optimal air-to-fuel ratio, resulting in better gas mileage.
- It’s not easy to connect the MAF sensor to the system.
- The bracket that connects the tube to the housing doesn’t seem to be of good quality.
Overall rating: 8/10
Superfastracing is one of those cold air intake brands that are known for providing exceptionally affordable systems made of quality materials. This way, both the tube and the heat shield of the present model are made of steel and feature carbon powder coating that is able to ensure the system’s longevity. As a result, it’s more than capable of shielding your engine from excessive heat and preventing internal damage.
The tube is well-engineered. It features a larger diameter than most factory tubes, resulting in a stronger airflow. The item is sized at 19.69 x 11.42 x 7.09 inches and weighs 9.13 pounds.
It’s definitely able to improve the way your engine sounds. The noticeable horsepower gain is another advantage you are going to get from this intake system. The fuel efficiency also appears to be improved. This cold air filter is easy to maintain—just rinse it under water and let it dry. It keeps all of the contaminants out of the engine that could harm it. The throttle responsiveness has also been substantially enhanced.
This air intake system is really easy to assemble and install. The unit comes in a kit that includes all of the necessary hardware. Thanks to the illustrated instructions, even beginners will easily cope with the installation process.
- The intake pipe is easy to modify, which is a great benefit for DIY enthusiasts.
- The whole system is made of environmentally friendly materials.
- The rubber boot between the tube and the MAF sensor fits just perfectly.
- The seals are thin, so they definitely aren’t reinforced.
- The system isn’t able to provide any mileage gain.
- Sometimes, the turbulence in the tube may create loud noises.
Overall rating: 8/10
This cold air intake system is quite expensive, but if you’re replacing the filter and airbox with top-quality parts without reusing any stock details, it may be just what you need. This model is able to provide an improved engine and throttle response. Furthermore, the engine’s sound will begin to resemble that of a sports car.
All of the installation elements are of excellent quality: the bolts are steel, the coupler is made of high-quality silicone, and so on. There are no low-quality rubber pieces like those seen on low-cost versions.
The manufacturer strongly recommends resorting to professional installation, but in my opinion, installing this AF Dynamic air intake system is no different than installing other systems. Furthermore, the directions provided are fairly extensive, so anyone should be able to put the housing together at the very least.
The high-flow air filter used by this system can be considered as the best cold air intake filteryou can find in this price range since it improves air filtration up to 95% in comparison with the stock filter. It noticeably boosts the flow rate. In addition, it’s washable and reusable.
The tube and the heat shield are black powder-coated for additional protection. The system’s overall dimensions are 18 x 15 x 9 inches. The weight is 16 pounds.
- It comes with an insulation mat that should be installed on a heat shield for added protection against heat.
- The filter doesn’t need to be washed frequently (only after about 30,000 miles).
- It’s able to improve MPG (miles per gallon) noticeably.
- Some of the bolts supplied are missing lock washers.
- When installed on a fast car, it can make an unpleasant sound when accelerating.
Overall rating: 9/10
What Does a Cold Air Intake Do?
You can sometimes meet those drivers who still think that cold air intakes have nothing in common with the improved engine performance as they cannot recognize the benefits of cold air inductions. Still, how does a cold air intake work?
Initially, it is necessary to say that modern cars are provided with factory-installed air intake systems, which frequently can get clogged. This happens because of tiny particles of dirt and dust that are collected in the system’s air filter. It has been proven multiple times that the supply of cooler air in the engine results in reduced clogging and enhance the combustion process. The presence of a cold air intake helps you move the air filter outside of the engine compartment in order to deliver cool air into the combustion chamber.
You should also remember that cool air delivered by this item is richer in oxygen molecules than warm air supplied by the stock air intake system. The high density of cold air is the main reason for the increased oxygen content. While oxygen allows for better combustion, there is a lot of logic in the decision to provide the engine of your car with more oxygen. Consequently, the installation of this aftermarket tool can help increase engine horsepower, achieve better torque performance, and improve fuel efficiency.
How Much HP Does a Cold Air Intake Add?
There can be no doubt that you will make things better for your car or truck with this product. Let’s find out how much horsepower does a cold air intake add? The cold air intake system is going to provide an increase of between 5 and 15 horsepower. However, this does not necessarily mean that you cannot go higher than 15 horsepower, as everything depends on the engine type and size, model, and even type of intake.
The metamorphosis of the engine through the upgraded air intake takes place because of several significant factors. The first one is that cold air intakes usually move the system from the stock location to let the engine breathe in colder air (richer in oxygen) near the fender well, rather than hotter air coming from over the engine. The second factor is that ram air intake features a large air duct located at the front-most part of the engine bay, so air is supplied into the system before it gets heated by the engine. Additionally, cold air intakes have a wider tube for delivering more air into the engine and maintaining unrestricted airflow. Moreover, they have larger air filters compared to stock air intakes. Overall, you can even gain 20 horsepower from the best cold air intake if all these factors stuck together.
How to Install Cold Air Intake
One of the most outstanding things about these systems is that they can be easily installed on most cars and trucks. You should just follow DIY cold air intake installation rules to get things done quickly and effortlessly.
- Turn off the engine. Let it cool off before you are going to mount a cold air intake. Wait until all the engine parts get cold, so you can start the process.
- Now unplug the car battery by removing the negative terminal and the positive terminal of the battery slowly to disconnect it completely.
- Remove the stock air intake. This looks like a large plastic tube that runs from the engine bay to a huge plastic filter box. Remove the filter first and then take off the filter box and the tube carefully. Use a socket set to unscrew the small bolts if the system is mounted on the engine.
- Now take off the sensors attached to the intake. Their number varies from model to model.
- Fit the new cold air intake. Stick to the instructions in the manufacturer’s manual. Start with attaching the silicone coupling to the throttle body. Then put a hose clamp on the coupling. Then you should slide the intake tube slowly into the silicone coupling. Hose clamps should be used to fix the air intake.
- Test how it works. Make sure that the intake pipe comes from the engine bay and runs from the throttle bay. Check all the bolts and clamps. Make the system tight and secure.
- Now reattach the battery terminal to the cold air intake. First, attach the positive terminal first and then deal with the negative terminal.
My name is Brandon, and I’ve been interested in cars since I was a kid. I got a bachelor’s degree in Automotive Technology and worked in a private car workshop. I have two cars that have been completely upgraded with my own hands. So I successfully put all my knowledge into practice.
Last update on 2022-07-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API